Beaconsfield, Tasmania, came to prominence as a gold-mining town in the 1800's. It is located close to the northern shore of the Island on the Tamar River, which is an area known for its wineries and apple orchards. Gold is still mined in the region. An interesting item of trivia is that back in 1953, Beaconsfield was the first Australian town to add fluoride to its drinking water.
Holy Trinity Church
The Holy Trinity Church in Beaconsfield draws sightseers because of its beautiful and intricate timber construction. Built in 1907, it is located on Margaret Street.