Bruny Island is in fact two islands joined by 'The'Neck' and reached from Kettering 40km south of Hobart. North Bruny has rolling hills that are farmed and South Bruny has more trees and steeper hills. The Neck is home to much bird life including penguins. The Aboriginal people who lived in this area belonged to the South East Tribe and were the 'Nuenonne' band.
The administrative centre of Bruny Island
Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration
The story of the Adventure Bay landings and some of the early explorers including Cook, Bligh and Furneaux. 876 Main Road (03 6293 1117).
Bruny Island Neck Game Reserve
A home for the mutton birds and penguins in the centre of the two islands.
Where the Hope was wrecked carrying pay for the troops in 1827.
Mable Bay lookout
At the entrance to the South Bruny National Park provides good views. Lighthouse Road.