Colac is situated 150 south west of Melbourne, Victoria. It is on the southern shore of Lake Colac on a huge volcanic plain. Colac has a number of landmarks that are historical and other places of interest. Colac Post office was built in 1876 and the Shire Hall in 1879. There was a Regent Theater built in 1925 but it is not used as a theatre.
Murray Street is the town center and around the WW1 monument in Memorial Square are fountains and barbecue facilities.
Lake Colac is the largest freshwater lake in Victoria and offers an abundance of watersports and swimming.
The Esplanade has a bird reserve which attracts many different types of birdlife to the lake.
Tachyglossus mosaic is also an attraction and has been developed by artists.
Colac Botanic Gardens are on a 12 hectare allotment above the lake and the botanic gardens were established around 1910.