Kapunda is situated 8 km to the north of Adelaide in the edge of Barossa Valley. Copper was discovered here in 1842 and Kapunda became Australia`s first mining town. A million pounds` worth of copper was dug out before the mines closed in 1878.
Attractions in town
Historic Ford house is located on the Main Street which is an 1860`s general store with unusual vaulted iron roof. Kapunda Museum which was built during 1870`s and is located in Kapunda. Bagot`s Fortune has displays of Mining history. Kapunda gallery is located at the corner of Main and Hill streets, it has significant regional gallery. 8 m tall bronze statue at southern entrance to town located at the end of Main Street commemorates early miners. Kapunda is the finishing point for Bicycle Federation of Australia trials which are held during the months of August to September.
Attractions in the area
Pines Reserve is located 6 km to the North West of Kapunda where nature reserve and wildlife is located. Historic local stone buildings are located at Tarlee which is 16 km to the North West of Kapunda. Scholz park museum and heritage listed railway station is located at Riverton which is present 30 km to the North West of Kapunda. Scenic drive of 26 km to the North West of Kapunda one can pass through sheep, wheat and dairy country to Eudunda.