Maitland is located 32 km to the North West of New Castle on the Hunter River. During 1820`s European Colonists have put convicts to work as cedar – cutters. It became a flourishing town by the 1840`s.
Attractions in the town
National trust conservation area is located on the High Street and National trust properties are located on the Church Street. Georgian style Grossman house is now a folk museum and Brough house. Housing city`s art collection are mirror images of the architecture. Vintage festival is conducted in the month of February and Garden Ramble is conducted during September.
Attractions in the Area
5 km to the North East there is National Trust Classified Morpeth. Historical buildings with superb iron lace inclusive of St. James Church are present in the area. 3 km to the north of Maitland (a scenic drive) you will be able to find former pumping station which is now an excellent recreational area. 14 km to the north a historic Georgian style homestead is present.